Yuba City, Marysville, CA (Oct. 13, 2009) - Rideout Memorial Hospital today announced that it has received the Pulmonary Care Excellence Award from HealthGrades, the leading independent healthcare ratings organization. The recognition is based on HealthGrades' twelfth annual Hospital Quality in America study, released today, which analyzes patient outcomes at virtually all of the nation's hospitals.
In achieving this recognition, Rideout was ranked among the Top 10% in the nation for pulmonary care and was also 5-Star rated for Overall Pulmonary Services.
"We are proud of our 5-Star rating for Overall Pulmonary Services, for what it means to the people we serve," stated Terri Hamilton, Chief Executive Officer, Rideout Health Group. "We take very seriously our commitment to provide quality health care to the people of our region. Our healthcare physicians and staff work hard to help us put our mission of providing the highest quality care to our community into action so that we can offer better care and a better experience to our patients."
In further acknowledgement of its quality pulmonary care treatment, Rideout was 5-Star rated for the Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Two Years in a Row (2009, 2010); 5-Star rated for the Treatment of Pneumonia (2010) and received the Highest Possible Star Ratings for the Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (2010).
The HealthGrades study, the largest annual report of its kind, analyzed patient outcomes in nearly 40 million Medicare hospitalization records from 5,000 hospitals over the years 2006, 2007 and 2008. This year's study found:
• Across all 17 procedures and diagnoses in which mortality was studied, there was an approximate 72% lower chance of dying in a 5-Star rated hospital compared to a 1 star rated hospital, and a 52% lower chance of dying in a 5-Star hospital compared with the national average.
• If all hospitals performed at the level of a 5-Star rated hospital across the 27 procedures and diagnoses studied, 224,537 Medicare lives could potentially have been saved from 2006 through 2008.
In addition to its pulmonary care excellence, Rideout Health Group's, Fremont Medical Center was a recipient of the 2009/2010 Maternity Care Excellence Award and Ranked among the Top 5% in the nation for Maternity Care. Fremont has achieved the Maternity Care Excellence Award two years in a row 2008/2009 - 2009/2010. In the Sixth Annual HealthGrades Women's Health in American Hospitals study released in June 2009 Fremont was also recognized for its 5-Star rating for Maternity Care 2 years in a row (2008/2009 - 2009/2010).
The new 2010 HealthGrades Hospital Ratings were posted today at www.healthgrades.com. HealthGrades' public website.
Rideout Health Group: Additional Specialty Recognition Includes:
Rideout Memorial Hospital
Valve Replacement Surgery
• Five-Star Rated for Valve Replacement Surgery - 2 years in a row (2007- 2008)
• Only Five-Star Rated for Valve Replacement in the Sacramento area (2008)
• Best Rated for Overall Cardiac Surgery in the Sacramento Area (2008)
Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
• Five-Star Rated for Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Two Years in a Row (2009-2010)
Treatment of GI Bleed
• Five-Star Rated for Treatment of GI Bleed (2009)
Treatment of Pulmonary Embolism
• Five-Star Rated for Treatment of Pulmonary Embolism - 2 years in a row (2008- 2009)
• Five-Star Rated for Appendectomy - 4 years in a row (2006-2009)
Fremont Medical Center
• Ranked Among the Top 10% in Nation for Maternity Care (2008/2009)
• Five-Star Rated for Maternity Care Two Years in a Row (2008/2009-2009/2010)
About HealthGrades Ratings
HealthGrades' hospital ratings and awards reflect the track record of patient outcomes at hospitals in the form of mortality and complication rates. HealthGrades rates hospitals independently based on data that hospitals submit to the federal government. No hospital can opt in or out of being rated, and no hospital pays to be rated.
For 28 procedures and treatments, HealthGrades issues star ratings that reflect the mortality and complication rates for each category of care. Hospitals receiving a 5-star rating have mortality or complication rates that are below the national average, to a statistically significant degree. A 3-Star rating means the hospital performs as expected. One-star ratings indicate the hospitals mortality or complication rates in that procedure or treatment are statistically higher than average. Because the risk profiles of patient populations at hospitals are not alike, HealthGrades risk-adjusts the date to allow for apples-to-apples comparisons.
More information on today's HealthGrades study, including the complete methodology, can be found at www.healthgrades.com.
About Rideout Health Group Rideout Health Group is a system of two acute-care, not-for-profit hospitals: Rideout Memorial Hospital and Fremont Medical Center; the Heart Center at Rideout, the Cancer Center affiliated with UC Davis and a host of ancillary services including senior living, Alzheimer's care, home health, hospice and durable medical equipment, located throughout Yuba and Sutter counties. Fremont-Rideout's health system employs more than 2,000 employees and has approximately 263 physicians on the medical staff.